Friday, June 27, 2008

Chess Club

Chess is a game I never learned, but should've. I was always playing in rock bands and rock bands don't play chess :) But more and more it's been coming up in conversation: "You don't know how to play chess?" or "No chess? What's the matter with you?" or "Would you please move to another table, sir? We're trying to play a game here!" But I'm just trying to learn!

Just like in the case of music, it's not easy learning complex games or languages as an adult. Hard, but not impossible (yay!). That's why you've got to start early, and your Shaw library is starting at the beginning.

Your Watha T. Daniel Library has an active chess club for
ages 8-16:
Wednesday nights 6:00-7:30pm and
Saturday mornings 10:00-11:30am

I'm not embarrassed that I'm almost thirty and have zero knowledge of such a universal game. I'm not embarrassed when ten-year-old chess players laugh because I don't know a rook from a book. In fact, I welcome it. Our chess club instructors are secretly going to get me up to speed so I can show those ten-year-olds who's boss.

Please do take advantage of this fun resource. I've never seen people get so deep into a game--there's something magical about it.
Best,
Casey

No comments: