Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Musical Interaction @ Your Library

When I was a kid, my mom and dad took me to as many music-for-kids programs as they could find, and God bless them for it. I didn't know it at the time, but these were the seeds that would bloom into a colorful centerpiece to my life, eventually ending up my life's main focus and therapy still twenty-something years later (NO, I will not reveal my age!)

I was not trained as a traveling troubador or a singing monkey or even a musical storyteller (not that there's anything wrong with that :) What I do know how to do is write music and play instruments and, I think, how to bring people together using this universal language. I've also taught music theory and music lessons to make extra money in college so I could pay for textbooks. So, I will be trying out some really fun interactive music programs at Watha T. Daniel Library in August, starting next Tuesday and every following Tuesday at 10:00am.

So I've put together a bunch of homemade percussion instruments to hand out, I'll be playing guitar and drums and who knows--maybe we'll start a band and get a record deal! :) I guess I am a sort of self-taught music therapist. If you've ever picked up a hand-drum and played around, you've probably felt the energy I'm talking about, and that's what I'm hoping to do with these programs. It's an experiment, but I know it'll work--it worked for me! See you there!

No comments: